Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Granny

Tonight I received an email from my Aunt Kathy, containing a random video of my grandmother:




Granny was my maternal grandmother, named Rosemary O'Brien.

I think this photo was taken in 1965/1966:
granny


She was born in 1925 and lived in Memphis, Tennessee until, at the age of 17, she married my grandfather, Dr. John T. O’Brien, who was a ripe old 27.

They moved to San Jose, California.

Together they had 8 children, which later resulted in numerous grandchildren.

Granny was an incredible woman-very elegant, kind, fashionable, wise, practical and graceful. And always a lady. She was a gorgeous woman, both inside and out.

Even with 8 children(!), she was always dressed to the nines and she loved to shop.

crooked fam
Here's Granny pictured with my grandfather and seven out of her eight kids. The lame scan job is my fault. Back row, left to right: My mom, Kelley, Terry, Timmy, John T, Billy and Michael. Front row: Grandad, Jeanie, Granny (Missing: Aunt Kathy. She must've been married by now?)


granny
This is my grandmother in the backyard of their house on University Avenue, in San Jose. I have the outfit she's wearing. It's a two-piece from I. Magnin.   It fit me when I was a freshman in college, however, many years and one child later, it no longer fits.   My friend Kathy and I used to wear the top as a dress when we were young.

Us grandkids called her "Granny," however, she didn’t luck much like a granny. Ever.

gran mom
Granny on the left, my mom on the right.  I'm not sure of the year here, however, I do know my mom was in high school.  

mom baptism
Here's Granny holding my mom at her baptism.  

As a child, if I was sick and my mom had to work, I would get to spend the day with Granny.

At lunchtime, she would make us each a Slim Fast Shake. With it we'd have a turkey sandwich and tomato soup.

She died in January 1995 at the age of 70.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Granny looks FIERCE! And "I Magnin" took me waaaaaaaaaay back! And your Granny lived just a hop, skip and a jump from where I grew up! Rose Garden, HOLLA!