Saturday, January 17, 2009

De Young


On Friday afternoon Maegan and Ella came over so the four of us could head over to the De Young to check out the Yves Saint Laurent exhibit.

We took advantage of the insanely gorgeous weather we've been having (in January!) and walked over the museum.

The future happy couple:
photo.jpg
Maegan has decided they'll travel Europe together after high school, before college.  I can already picture them.
photo.jpg

As we were entering Golden Gate Park, Maegan spotted Radhika from Top Chef leaving the park.

We knew the museum was open late, however, neither of us knew about Friday Night at the De Young:
On Friday Nights, the entire museum stays open until 8:45 p.m. offering a variety of interdisciplinary arts programs, including live music, poetry, films, dance, tours, and lectures. The cafe and a no-host cocktail bar are open for dinner and drinks. There are hands-on art-making activities available for children and adults. 

We ordered beers and sat down to drink them, chat and people watch before working our way through the YSL exhibit.

The exhibit itself was great.  I've never seen such exquisite clothes that close up.  I was looking forward to seeing the dress that Catherine Deneuve wore in Belle de Jour, having been tipped off by my friend Jane, with whom I'd seen the movie with years ago and it didn't disappoint.  (Catherine Deneuve was so thin.)  

Three little girls came through with their folks. One kept loudly saying, "It's Jesus' mom! It's Jesus' mom!"  I think I know which dress reminded her of Jesus' mom: I think it was the dress on the left though, because after thirteen years in Catholic school, I am pretty confident in my assumption.  (Hee hee, assumption, get it?)

When we exited the exhibit Friday Night at the De Young was in full swing. There was music, there were kids doing art projects, and parents walking around with beers, pushing strollers. (This is what parents do when they have children and can no longer go out to bars. They drink at the museum and are home a little after 9. I get it!)




No comments: