Thursday, January 15, 2009

The other day I was in San Jose visiting my friend Jane and her family.  Before heading back home, I stopped off at my folks so they could see the baby.  Ollie needed to eat so I sat in the kitchen and nursed him while my mom made her lunch for the following day.  My dad who was watching WWF* in the other room, came into the other room, to grab an apple.  He grabbed a Gala apple. This might not seem like a big deal, however it is. You see, my mother has only kept Red Delicious apples in her kitchen for the last 32 years. Seriously the woman has been loyal to the Red Delicious for my entire life.  Probably longer. I'm not a big fan of the RD apple. It's texture is a bit too grainy for my tastes.



 As we sat there, my mom started packing herself a lunch for the following day.  She grabbed a Red Delicious and started cutting into it.  The following conversation ensued:

Me: Mom, are Red Delicious apples your favorite apple?
Mom:  No, not really.
Me:  They're the only apple I've ever seen you buy for 32 years.
Mom:  Yeah, I really like the color.

The fact that my mom chooses her apples based on aesthetics is hilarious.  It really seemed like she'd not given this much thought.  I'm curious to see if she will continue to buy the RD apple or if she'll explore other apple varieties.  (I know, my world is so exciting, can you stand it?)

*My dad likes fake wrestling.  What can I say?  Makes me laugh.

No comments: